Thursday 17 May 2012

No Holds Barred Chats To Boxing's Rising Star Frank Stea

No Holds Barred: How did you get into boxing?

Frank Stea: I was a fan first and foremost. I began going to some gyms in my hometown of Philadelphia, PA. I started amateur boxing at 16 years old and compiled a 6-0 amateur record. After High School I joined the US Army and also boxed there. I was 5-0 in the Armed Forces Boxing. After some hard fights in the gym and in the amateurs, I just decided being a boxer would be beneficial to my health in the long run.

No Holds Barred: What is your role in boxing today?


Frank Stea: I'm in no way, shape or form a star but thank you for considering me one. I'm just a fan who has had the opportunity to meet and acquaint myself with the biggest names in the sport I love. I like to call myself a boxing yuppie or maybe even a socialite [laughs]. I do a radio show that features boxing talk with fighters. I've also worked with pro and amateur fighters in a managerial and training capacity in the past but I've basically stepped aside from the corrupt business side of boxing for now. Today, I play a role on the political side with some of the bigger names and promotions in the business as well as the small time groups. I help fighters and promoters today in an advisory and publicity role with my tag team partner Tim Kudgis.

No Holds Barred: You’re a strength and conditioning coach. Are you involved in training fighters right now?


Frank Stea: Right now, I work with a couple amateur fighters and prospects on the strength and conditioning side of things but nothing out of this world. I hope to expand more in the future, maybe even open up a gym.

No Holds Barred: What would you say is your long term ambition?


Frank Stea: I would love to become a boxing promoter one day. I mentioned the corruption that's involved in boxing and that kind of takes away some of that ambition. I will always be a fan though. I consider myself very fortunate as a fan because I get to rub shoulders with the biggest names in the sport.

No Holds Barred: You've worked with Floyd Mayweather Jr and Roger Mayweather. You must have learnt a lot?


Frank Stea: I took two heavyweight fighters to the Mayweather Boxing Club in 2009. They were working with Roger who was already kind of a friend to me. Roger would give me instructions for the fighters while he was handling other things. I asked Roger if I could be his assistant and learn from him. He said "no problem". Right before Floyd started camp for the Mosley fight, I was learning and helping Roger everyday and that also rolled over into when the Mosley camp began. I was invited to help out with everything for that camp. I learnt so much about boxing in general from Roger. He is one of the most knowledgeable human beings when it comes to that. These days, Roger is a little annoyed with me for whatever reason but that's just him. I befriended Jeff Mayweather shortly after. I consider Jeff a good friend and one of boxing's best professors.

No Holds Barred: How did you find the experience of working in the Mayweather camp for the Mosley fight and what was your favourite moment?


Frank Stea: Just being there was awesome. I didn't care if I was mopping sweat up off the floor or sitting on the ring apron watching Floyd Mayweather spar. Being involved is always surreal to me.

No Holds Barred: Floyd shows a certain personality to the World’s media. Is he the same off camera or does his personality change?

Frank Stea: He maintains his cocky and confident stature off camera as well. He's an A-list celebrity and athlete who is worth millions. I'm sure he feels the constant pressure to impress everywhere he is. If you get to know him on a personal level, he is a kind and generous soul but he'll make sure you don't forget he's the best fighter in the world. I can't say I wouldn't do the same if I was in his shoes.

No Holds Barred: If it happens, who wins: Floyd or Manny?
Frank Stea: Floyd would win in my opinion. It would be an exciting fight with every punch thrown having me on the edge of my seat. I think Floyd's defensive style and counter punching would be too much for Manny and the fight would end early.

No Holds Barred: What other fighters have you been involved with?

Frank Stea: I've been involved in some shape or form with quite a few fighters in one way or another. I've dealt on a professional and business level with some champions, contenders and opponent level fighters. Tim Witherspoon, Chucky T, Tony Thompson, Zahir Raheem, and so many more names that you probably wouldn’t know. Obviously getting up close and personal with all of the Mayweathers has been a blessing. I've had the opportunity to be involved with Zab Judah's camp for a couple of weeks too.

No Holds Barred: In your opinion, who is the best trainer in boxing right now?
Frank Stea: I feel personally Jeff Mayweather is. That's because I've seen his techniques up close. If you go by who has the most current champions or fighters on a P4P level, you have to go with Freddie Roach. Honourable mentions go to Roger Mayweather, Robert Garcia, Emanuel Steward and Nate Jones.

No Holds Barred: Had you always been a fan of boxing?

Frank Stea: I’ve been a fan since I was about 6 years old. So that’s about 25 years as a fan.

No Holds Barred: What was your earliest memory of the sport?

Frank Stea: My earliest memory was Mike Tyson!!! I was young and he was the craze of the sports world. I watched when he beat Trevor Berbick for the WBC title and I was hooked from then.

No Holds Barred: Who are your favourite fighters past and present?

Frank Stea: From the past, I would say Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson, Mike McCallum, Arturo Gatti, Ray Mercer and Prince Naseem Hamed to name a few. At present, I’d say Bernard Hopkins, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Wladimir Klitschko, Yuriorkis Gamboa, J'Leon Love, Badou Jack, Ismayl Sillakh and Erislandy Lara to name a few.

No Holds Barred: As a fan of boxing, you must hate some things about the handling of the sport?

Frank Stea: The politics involved and the shady people for sure.

No Holds Barred: Do you think things like too many orgs, too many titles and awful decisions have ruined the sport somewhat?

Frank Stea: In a way it is bad. If they have the four major titles but eventually do a unification tournament with all titles included, I'd be fine with that. It would be super entertaining but instead they keep all the titles separated. There are super titles, regular titles, silver and diamond titles and other organisations popping up all the time. It becomes confusing and annoying.

No Holds Barred: Have you spoken to many fighters on the subject? What are their opinions?

Frank Stea: I've spoken to countless fighters about everything that is right and wrong about boxing. Everyone has their own opinion but almost every opinion is similar: disgust and disappointment.

No Holds Barred: You started a clothing range called ATG. How did that come about?

Frank Stea: In 2007, a few friends and I started a crew that we called ATG. We made hats and shirts. We sold a few but the clothing line didn't go far in the over saturated fight-wear market. ATG has become a lifestyle for us involved and we represent it with everything we do.

No Holds Barred: You also run a radio show called ATG. What do you discuss on your show?

Frank Stea: We discuss boxing, MMA, pro wrestling, music, politics and entertainment.

No Holds Barred: You've met a lot of famous names in boxing. Who would you say was the most famous that you've met?

Frank Stea: To be honest, because of boxing I've met Hollywood movie stars and platinum selling music artists. In boxing, obviously meeting Mike Tyson was probably the biggest deal for me. Also, meeting Lennox Lewis was equally as incredible. I played basketball with Floyd Mayweather, went to a church service in Manny Pacquiao's hotel room and even got into a public shouting match with David Haye. I've been in the right and wrong places at the right time.

No Holds Barred: You have four children: Two boys and two girls. Would you encourage them to get into boxing?

Frank Stea: Maybe my youngest son. I was away at war during my oldest child's younger years to influence him to be a fighter. He is more studious than athletic. My girl on the other hand... Basically, if they came to me and wanted to box, I would support them.

No Holds Barred: If you could have a dinner party and invite five guests, who would they be?

Frank Stea: I’d invite Floyd Mayweather Jr, Andrew Hartley, Manny Pacquiao, Mike Tyson and Charlie Zelenoff. In my own little world, it would be epic.

No Holds Barred: Where can fans find you online?

Frank Stea: I can be found primarily on Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/frankstea or on my websites www.alltimegreat.com, http://www.frankstea.com and http://www.atgradio.com.

No Holds Barred: Do you have any final words to say to the boxing community?

Frank Stea: I love boxing almost like it was one of my children. I love to discuss anything about boxing with anyone. This sport is corrupt though and those who keep saying how bad it is need to act in numbers. If you want it changed, let’s make it happen together. God bless everyone.

No Holds Barred: Thanks for talking to me, Frank.

No comments:

Post a Comment